If there were one day of the year when you guys might just feel overwhelmed by our expectations, it would likely be Valentine’s Day. Am I right?
Well you may have noticed (now that the Superbowl is over) that half the world is painted in red to make sure you will be ready. And now, less than a week away, the thought of it has likely sent you into a frenzy for at least one of two reasons:
1. You have no clue how to give a gift that will make her Valentine's Day special.
2. You don’t have a woman in your life and have decided to finally ask “what’s her face” out this week, cause why the heck not? (Don’t worry - I won’t go there.)
If neither of those apply to you then you are likely a pro at this Valentine’s Day gig or you are one truly content bachelor. Either way, Congratulations.
But, I’ll be honest - you guys have it pretty hard trying to please us females. It is no easy task meeting our expectations and, if I’m really frank, it’s even more difficult when we play the I’m-not-going-to-tell-you-what-I-want,-and-we’ll-just-see-how-well-you-really-know-me game (Which, really most of us females do at one time or another - I’ll try to make sense of this shortly, if I can.)
It seems many of you men feel like you have to lasso the moon for us on Valentines, or, on the other extreme, succumb to the stereotypical Russell Stover’s waxy chocolates and flowers in hopes that that will suffice. (Note: avoid shopping at CVS if you wish to woo her in the least.) Sure women want chocolates (like, everyday) and we want a thoughtful gift on this special day. But on the other hand, you don't need to max out your credit card just to buy the Michael Kors bag she's dying for. We would like you to not be in debt.
Yet, If there is anything women don’t want, chocolate or Michael Kors bag, women don’t want what is simply sufficient. Sometimes what we would really like can’t be bought. Any guy can buy a gift, put it in a gift bag and say “Happy Valentines Day”, but to truly make this day a memorable one, you might have to think outside of that red heart-shaped box.
Going a little out of the box is exactly what she wants. So, with that in mind, here are a few ideas. No charge. Keep the change! Please.
3 ways to make this Valentine’s Day one she won’t forget:
1. Make the Day About Her – We love surprises (even if she says she doesn’t), so plan a day filled with the things she loves. Heck, if she’s an animal lover, take her to a great nearby animal shelter, go horseback riding, or to your city’s zoo. If she loves the beach, have dinner on the beach and don’t forget the candles, or give her a gift card to her favorite store and help her pick out the perfect outfit. Celebrate the day by celebrating her.
2. Put It In Words - There’s nothing more disappointing to a girl that opening up a card with a note from Hallmark plus your John Hancock. Write just a few sentences of what you love about her. A girl always loves to know what’s on your mind.
3. Get Crafty (and Resourceful) - Now we may not all be sentimental fools, but that doesn’t mean a girl won’t appreciate something out of the norm! And if there was ever a time to be resourceful and totally on point - behold the power of Pinterest. One prime example of this is my brother in-law. My sister, a truly sentimental fool (& I love her for it), has long loved the band Sleeping At Last. Rick, the resourceful chap he is, figured out how to make a clock radio alarm out of one of the band’s CD covers. That year, Kara received her absolute favorite gift… a Sleeping At Last Storyboards CD clock. And we did not stop hearing about that gift for the rest of the year.
Study her. Admire her inner strengths. Know her “ways”. Create memories that prove what she means to you. Women simply want you to make an effort to understand them, to listen to them, to try to “get” them. Few men seldom take this day as an opportunity to prove how well they know her and what makes her so special and unique. Granted, we are not always the easiest to completely understand (really, half the time most of us don’t understand ourselves), but it is in the trying that she will feel loved and her heart captured. No doubt, you will be very happy with the outcome of your thoughtfulness!